Wednesday, April 1, 2009
Roasted Garlic & Red Bell Pepper Dip
This recipe is from Emeril with a few of my own adjustments :) Serve this dip with fresh veggies (zucchini, cucumbers, celery, carrots, etc.) or with homemade pita chips (recipe below).
2 red bell peppers, roasted & peeled
2 heads garlic, roasted
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
2 T. fresh lemon juice
8 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese
3 T. fresh basil
1 t. fresh oregano
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1. Roast the peppers over an open flame or broiler until skin is black & blistered. Place in a bowl & cover with plastic wrap for 10 min. Peel blackened skin off.
2. Chop off upper quarter of each head of garlic. Drizzle with olive oil & season with salt & pepper. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min. or until golden & tender.
3. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
Pita Chip Ingredients:
6 pitas, cut into triangles
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 t. kosher salt
Pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 t. cumin
1 t. dry oregano
2 T. olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix spices together in a bowl.
3. Toss pitas in olive oil and sprinkle with seasonings.
4. Bake for 10-15 min. or until golden & crisp.
**If you don't have pitas, you can use soft tortillas instead**