Wednesday, May 30, 2012
Vegan Blueberry Muffins
1/4 c. ground flax seed
1 3/4 c. whole wheat pastry flour (or 1 c. whole wheat & 3/4 c. all purpose)
1 1/2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. baking soda
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/4 t. salt
1 c. almond milk
1 T. apple cider vinegar
1/2 c. maple syrup
1 t. vanilla extract
1 t. almond extract
1/4 c. vegetable or coconut oil
2 t. orange zest
1 1/2 c. fresh blueberries
Sugar for sprinkling on top (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Line a muffin tin with paper liners.
2. Whisk together the wet ingredients: almond milk, vinegar, maple syrup, extracts, oil & zest.
3. In a separate bowl, combine the dry ingredients: flax seed, flour, baking powder, soda, cinnamon & salt.
4. Stir together wet & dry ingredients until just combined. Do not overmix!
5. Gently fold in the blueberries. **Use fresh, not frozen or your muffins will be soggy.**
6. Fill muffin tin and sprinkle with sugar if desired. Bake for 20 minutes.