The ingredient list is long, but it uses a lot of canned items (which to me is perfect for the winter months), and things that I always have in my pantry. This is a big hit at my house every time I make it. My kids love anything Tex Mex, especially if it has corn & beans! The best part is it's ready in about 20 minutes, start to finish! Serve it up with tortilla chips, shredded cheese, sour cream, guacamole...you get the picture.
1 T. canola oil
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 (15 oz) can tomato sauce
1/4 c. sugar
4 T. chili powder
2 T. cumin
1 T. coriander
4 c. vegetable broth
2 c. salsa
2 (15 oz) cans black beans, drained & rinsed
2 (15 oz) cans black eyed peas, drained & rinsed
1 (15 oz) can diced tomatoes
1 (4 oz) can diced green chiles
3 c. frozen corn
4 T. butter
1/4 c. flour
1 c. heavy cream
1/4 c. fresh cilantro, chopped
1 bunch green onions, sliced
1. Saute onion & bell pepper in oil until tender.
2. Add garlic, cumin, chili powder, coriander. Cook until fragrant (less than a minute).
3. Add tomato sauce, sugar, broth, salsa, beans, tomatoes, chiles, and corn. Simmer for 10 minutes.
4. In a separate small pot, make a rue from the butter and flour. Add this to your soup & bring to a boil to thicken.
5. Turn off heat and add cream, cilantro & green onions.