Sunday, April 26, 2009
3/4 cup honey
juice from 2 limes
1 T chili powder
1 /2 tsp garlic powder (or fresh garlic)
1 tsp cumin
1 pound chicken breast or tender, cooked and shredded
8-10 flour tortillas
1 pound monterey jack cheese, shredded
16 ounces green enchilada sauce
1 cup heavy cream (optional) I have never used it and they are still the best!!!
Mix first 5 ingredients and toss with shredded chicken. Let marinate for at least 1/2 hour. Pour about 1/2 C enchilada sauce on the bottom of a 9x13 pan. Fill tortillas with chicken and shredded cheese, saving about 1 C cheese to sprinkle on top. Mix remaining enchilada sauce with the cream and leftover marinade. Pour sauce on top of enchiladas and sprinkle with cheese. Bake at 350 for 30 min. uncovered until brown and crispy on top.
Thursday, April 23, 2009
We had our neighbor over for dinner tonight and made this for dessert. It's Ty's favorite pie.
1/2 c. sugar
1/4 c. corn starch
1/8 t. salt
5 egg yolks
2 c. whole milk
1/2 c. evaporated milk
1 t. vanilla
2 T. butter
1 graham cracker pie crust
1. Whisk together sugar, corn starch, salt & egg yolks. Immediately add milks.
2. Cook over medium heat until thickened, stirring often.
3. Remove from heat, add vanilla & butter.
4. Cover and let cool at least 30 minutes before transferring to pie crust.
5. Put 1/2 of the custard in your pie crust, layer with banana slices, and top off with the other 1/2 of the custard.
6. Refrigerate for at least 3 hours. Serve topped with whipped cream.
**Putting the bananas in the middle keeps them from turning brown**
Thursday, April 16, 2009
1/2 lb. potatoes, cubed
1 T. olive oil
1/2 lb. Italian sausage
2 cans cannellini beans, rinsed
3 c. spaghetti sauce
2 c. chicken broth
4 t. herbs de provence
Veggies from your fridge (I used carrots, onion & zucchini)
Salt & Pepper to taste
1. Boil the potatoes in water for 15 minutes. Drain.
2. Cook sausage in olive oil until browned.
3. Add beans, potatoes, spaghetti sauce, broth, herbs & veggies.
4. Simmer 20 minutes, or until thickened.
5. Season with salt & pepper to taste.
**This is great with a little Parmesan on top**
1 T. olive oil
1 onion, diced
1 bell pepper, diced
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 inch ginger, grated
2 sweet potatoes, cubed
Pinch of cayenne
3 c. veggie or chicken stock
1 can diced tomatoes
1 t. creamy peanut butter
1 T. honey
1. Saute onion & bell pepper in olive oil until tender. Add garlic & ginger. Cook 30 seconds longer.
2. Add sweet potatoes, cayenne, stock & tomatoes and simmer until potatoes are tender.
3. Puree soup in blender. Stir in peanut butter & honey.
Thursday, April 9, 2009
4 cups shredded green cabbage
1 cup shredded red cabbage
1/4 cup chopped red onion
2 jalapeño chiles, seeded, finely chopped*
2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
1 (11-oz.) can Green Giant® Mexicorn® Whole Kernel Corn, Red and Green Peppers, drained (I often just use a can of corn and a jar of pimentos)
4 oz. (1 cup) shredded Cheddar cheese
Fresh cilantro sprigs
3/4 cup prepared ranch salad dressing
1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
1 teaspoon cumin
1. In large bowl, combine all salad ingredients except cilantro sprigs; mix well.
2. In small bowl, combine all dressing ingredients; blend well. Pour over salad; toss to coat. Serve immediately or refrigerate until serving time. Garnish with cilantro.
Truth: I really add about double the amount of cabbage, green and red -- and sometimes more. I still use the same amount of dressing and I think there is plenty!
Friday, April 3, 2009
Wednesday, April 1, 2009
This recipe is from Emeril with a few of my own adjustments :) Serve this dip with fresh veggies (zucchini, cucumbers, celery, carrots, etc.) or with homemade pita chips (recipe below).
2 red bell peppers, roasted & peeled
2 heads garlic, roasted
1/4 c. extra virgin olive oil
2 T. fresh lemon juice
8 oz. reduced-fat cream cheese
3 T. fresh basil
1 t. fresh oregano
1/4 t. red pepper flakes
1. Roast the peppers over an open flame or broiler until skin is black & blistered. Place in a bowl & cover with plastic wrap for 10 min. Peel blackened skin off.
2. Chop off upper quarter of each head of garlic. Drizzle with olive oil & season with salt & pepper. Bake at 350 degrees for 45 min. or until golden & tender.
3. Place all ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
Pita Chip Ingredients:
6 pitas, cut into triangles
1/2 t. garlic powder
1 t. kosher salt
Pinch cayenne pepper
1/2 t. cumin
1 t. dry oregano
2 T. olive oil
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix spices together in a bowl.
3. Toss pitas in olive oil and sprinkle with seasonings.
4. Bake for 10-15 min. or until golden & crisp.
**If you don't have pitas, you can use soft tortillas instead**