Thursday, October 15, 2009
Famous Whole Wheat Bread
I know that many of you already have this recipe...but this is for those of you who don't. It's my mother-in-law's famous whole wheat bread. I just made some today (first time since summer began). It's oh so yummy!!!
2 1/2 c. warm water
1 1/2 T. yeast
1/4 c. honey
1 T. lecithin
3/4 T. dough enhancer
1/4 c. vital wheat gluten
5-6 c. whole wheat flour
3/4 T. salt
1. Combine water, yeast, honey, lecithin, dough enhancer & wheat gluten in a stand mixer. Let sit for a couple minutes.
2. Add two cups of flour and beat with cookie dough attachment for 5 minutes.
3. Switch to dough hook and slowly add the rest of the flour. Let knead for 5 minutes. Add salt with a little more flour. Let knead for 5 additional minutes.
4. Turn out dough onto a greased surface. Cut in half and form into loaves.
5. Let rise in well greased bread pans for 30 minutes.
6. Bake at 350 for 30 minutes.
7. Cool on a rack & spray bread with cooking spray.
**For a multi-grain bread, substitute 1 c. of flour for 1 c. of oatmeal or seven grain cereal**