Wednesday, October 14, 2009
This is another recipe from America's Test Kitchen, but I have modified it for crock pot use.
3-5 lb. chuck roast (1 inch cubes)
3 T. canola oil
2 onions, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. tomato paste
3 T. flour
2 c. chicken stock
1 t. thyme
2 bay leaves
1 can tomatoes (15 oz.)
5 medium potatoes (1 inch cubes)
4 carrots, sliced
1 c. frozen peas
1. Season beef with salt & pepper and brown in oil for 10 minutes. Remove & set aside.
2. Cook onions for 5 minutes until tender. Add garlic & tomato paste. Cook for 30 seconds.
3. Add flour and cook for 1 minute.
4. Add stock & herbs. Cook for 1 more minute.
5. Transfer everything to a crock pot. Add beef, tomatoes, potatoes & carrots. Cook on low for 6-8 hrs.
6. Stir in peas after done cooking.