Thursday, December 10, 2009
Carbonara a la Ekstrom
This is our family's version of a classic Italian pasta dish. We make it spicy, but that's totally optional.
1/4 red onion, diced
1/2 bell pepper, diced
6 cloves garlic, sliced
6 slices bacon or pancetta
2 T. olive oil
2 t. basil
1 t. red pepper flakes (optional)
8 oz. penne pasta
3 eggs, lightly beaten
1/4 c. parmesan
1/2 t. cayenne (optional)
1 tomato, diced
1. Boil water & cook pasta according to directions on box.
2. While pasta is cooking, saute bacon in oil for 2 minutes over medium-high heat.
3. Add onion & bell pepper & cook until almost tender.
4. Add garlic, red pepper & basil. Cook for 30 seconds, until fragrant.
5. Beat the eggs with the parmesan & cayenne.
6. Drain pasta & return to the pot. Add the veggie mixture & quickly stir in the eggs over low heat until cooked through.
7. Off of the heat, stir in the tomato. Garnish with fresh basil.
**This is quite spicy. If you don't like it hot, reduce or omit the red pepper & cayenne**