Thursday, November 19, 2009
1 T. paprika
1 t. cumin
1 t. sugar
1 t. salt
1/2 t. onion powder
1/2 t. garlic powder
1/4 t. pepper
1/8 t. cayenne
3 Tilapia Filets
Juice of 1 lime
1. Rinse the fish & pat dry.
2. Mix paprika, cumin, sugar, salt, onion & garlic powders, pepper & cayenne together in a small bowl.
3. Season the fish generously on both sides.
4. Heat canola oil in a skillet over medium to medium-high heat.
5. Cook fish for 3-4 minutes per side, until cooked through.
6. Remove from skillet, break apart & squeeze the juice from one lime.
7. Serve with cabbage, onions, tomatoes, salsa & guacamole.
Sunday, November 8, 2009
This dessert is requested for just about every birthday in my extended family. It's also nice that I can make a reduced sugar version for my diabetic mother. I'll put the diabetic conversions in parenthesis.
1 box chocolate cake mix (reduced-sugar cake mix)
2 boxes chocolate pudding (sugar-free pudding)
2 c. milk
2 c. heavy cream
Chocolate syrup (sugar-free chocolate syrup)
1 container cool whip (sugar-free cool whip)
2 skor bars (Russell Stover's sugar-free chocolate toffee)
1. Prepare one box of pudding with two cups of milk & refrigerate.
2. Whip one box of pudding with two cups of heavy cream until stiff & refrigerate.
3. Bake cake mix according to directions on box. Let cool before cutting into 2-inch cubes.
4. Crush skor/toffee in a plastic baggie.
5. In a glass trifle dish, layer the cake, chocolate cream, and a drizzle of chocolate syrup.
6. Next, layer more cake, chocolate pudding, cool whip, and top with crushed toffee.
**You can use nuts if you don't like toffee or in addition**