Tuesday, March 1, 2011
30 Minute Chicken Noodle Soup
I love soup. My husband loves soup. My kids love soup. What I don't always love about soup is how time consuming it can be sometimes. A really good bowl of chicken noodle often requires hours of cooking. Well my friends, welcome to fast & easy, not to mention super tasty, chicken noodle soup! My sister taught me this trick & now it's the only way to go! Also, I've changed some of the "traditional" soup ingredients. Omitting celery and adding zucchini & sweet potato. Don't knock it til you've tried it!
1 rotisserie chicken (pick up a pre-cooked one from the grocery store)
6 c. water
1 qt. low-sodium chicken stock (I prefer the boxed kind)
1 onion, diced
2 carrots, peeled & diced
8 oz. home style egg noodles (I like the Country Pasta brand)
1 sweet potato, peeled & diced
1 zucchini, diced
1 c. peas
1 t. salt (approximately, really to taste)
1 T. parsley
1. Bring home your roasted chicken & take all the meat off the bones. Set the meat aside & place the carcass in a large pot with the water. Boil for 15 minutes. Remove all bones/skin/etc.
2. Add boxed stock to the chicken "stock" that you just made. Add onion & carrots. Boil for 8-10 minutes.
3. Add noodles & sweet potatoes. Boil for 10 minutes more.
4. Add zucchini and cook for 5 more minutes.
5. Turn off heat & stir in peas, salt & parsley just before serving.