Wednesday, July 29, 2009
We always grill a lot of chicken in the summertime. I usually make double what we would eat at one meal so that I have quick, lean protein to add to wraps, sandwiches, salads & quesadillas. These are a few of our favorite combinations, but use whatever fresh herbs you have on hand.
1. Juice of a lemon, 1/4 c. olive oil, rosemary & basil, salt & pepper.
2. Juice of 1-2 limes, 1/4 c. olive oil, cilantro & parsley, salt & pepper.
3. Juice of 1 orange, 1/4 c. olive oil, thyme & parsley, salt & pepper.
4. Juice of 1 grapefruit, 1/4 c. olive oil, rosemary, thyme & sage, salt & pepper.
1. Marinade for 1 hour.
2. Grill for 6-7 min. on each side over Medium heat.
3. Let the meat rest for 5 min. (it will continue cooking) before serving.
**We like to add onions & garlic to every marinade we prepare to make it more flavorful, but this is optional**
Thursday, July 16, 2009
I made this for my sis-in-law's baby shower & it was a big hit. Here is the recipe for all those who wanted it. It comes from the America's Test Kitchen Family Cookbook.
|Unbleached all-purpose flour for work surface|
|1 box of frozen puff pastry, thawed in box in refrigerator overnight|
|1 large egg, beaten|
|2 ounces grated parmesan cheese (about 1 cup)|
|1 pound plum tomatoes (about 3 to 4 medium), sliced|
|2 medium cloves of garlic, minced or pressed through garlic press (about 2 teaspoons)|
|2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil|
|Ground black pepper|
|8 low moisture mozzarella, shredded (2 cups)|
|2 tablespoons basil, fresh, shredded|